“Always be proud, but with humility. In other words, be aware of Chi Omega’s purposes. Remember they are the backbone of our Fraternity.” Winnie Hopkins Bowker, National President, 1970-1976
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA FALL 2013 RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
- Friday, August 9: Convocation (at Coleman Coliseum)
- Saturday, August 10-Sunday, August 11: Ice Water Teas/Open Houses
- Monday, August 12-Tuesday, August 13: Philanthropy Days
- Wednesday, August 14-Thursday, August 15: Skit Days
- Friday, August 16: Preference Day
- Saturday, August 17: BID DAY!
Please refer to the Alabama Panhellenic Association (link and contact info at bottom of page) for more specifics on dress codes for each day, party schedules each day, etc.
HIGH STANDARDS OF PERSONNEL
The ideal Chi Omega potential new member is extremely well-rounded and has pursued personal integrity, excellence in academic and intellectual pursuits, community service, leadership opportunities, and social enrichment in her life experience thus far. Please note that Nu Beta strongly recommends a 3.0 high school GPA for incoming freshmen and a 3.3 collegiate GPA for upperclassmen going through recruitment to be considered for membership. Please refer to Chi Omega’s vision, mission, symphony, and six purposes for a more in-depth description of what Chi Omega is all about. These are detailed on our “About” page.
QUICK TIPS FOR WOMEN GOING THROUGH RECRUITMENT
- Be confident, and don’t be afraid to express your true self! Chi Omega prides itself on the genuine quality of its members.
- Don’t be afraid to branch out and make new friends–inside and outside of your Sigma Rho Chi groups. You will be spending the next four years with all of the ladies around you, no matter which sorority you end up joining.
- As the recruitment week progresses, look around at the ladies waiting to enter houses with you. These girls will potentially become your pledge sisters for the next four years! Make sure you would feel comfortable being yourself around them.
- As you enter each house throughout the recruitment week, make sure you feel comfortable with the ladies in the house with whom you are speaking. These ladies could potentially become your sorority sisters!
- Take advantage of your Sigma Rho Chis! They have been carefully selected, are excellent representatives of UA Greek Life and student life in general, and are there for you at all hours during the recruitment week.
CHAPTER INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS FOR WOMEN GOING THROUGH RECRUITMENT
All women coming through formal fall recruitment at The University of Alabama should acquire at a minimum one Chi Omega Recruitment Information Form (RIF), commonly known as a recommendation, to be filled out by an alumna of any Chi Omega chapter across the country. This alumna must fill out the form and send it to the Chi Omega Area Recruitment Information Chair (ARIC) from the Chi Omega alumnae chapter of the hometown of the woman going through recruitment. Nu Beta asks that women going through recruitment submit one picture (no more than one is necessary) and resume with the completed and signed RIF to the chapter. Nu Beta also welcomes any additional RIFs signed by the ARIC or letters of support written by any of Chi Omega’s alumnae. It is to the advantage of the woman going through recruitment to have multiple RIFs and letters of support filled out and submitted on her behalf. There is no limit to the amount that may be submitted, as long as they are all submitted on-time. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY RIFs TO NU BETA THAT HAVE NOT BEEN SIGNED BY THE ARIC AND LOCAL ALUMNAE CHAPTERS.
Please note that all of the above information should be sent to the Nu Beta chapter at one of the following addresses no later than JULY 15, 2013 for Fall 2013 Formal Recruitment:
*Chi Omega Nu Beta Chapter
Attn: Recruitment Advisor Lynn Anderson
40 The Highlands
Tuscaloosa, AL 35404*
Chi Omega Nu Beta Chapter
Attn: Recruitment Chairs Mary Riley Ogilvie & Jennifer Locke
P.O. Box 866479
Tuscaloosa, AL 35486
*Due to the conversion of the on-campus postal office, we recommend that RIFs or any other form of support be sent to the first address. However please note that we will still continue to check the postal box throughout the summer.
INFORMATION FOR ALUMNAE
Chi Omega alumnae are crucial to the wonderful success that Nu Beta experiences each year during the recruitment process. It is Chi Omega’s national policy that all women pledged by each Chi Omega collegiate chapter have at minimum one RIF form (Chi Omega Recruitment Information Form), commonly known as a recommendation, for each new member signed and processed by the ARIC (Chi Omega Area Recruitment Information Chair) of the woman going through recruitment and on file at the local Chi Omega collegiate chapter.
The RIF form is to be filled out by any Chi Omega alumna across the country on behalf of the woman going through recruitment. This form along with information about local ARICs and alumnae chapters can be accessed by any current member or alumna of Chi Omega in the members-only section of the national Chi Omega website (http://everyday.chiomega.com/). Once logged in, an alumna or member may find the form and ARIC information under the “Documents” tab at the top of the page. After this form has been filled out, the alumna must send the form (we also ask that a resume and one picture of the woman be sent as well) to the ARIC of the local Chi Omega alumnae chapter of the woman going through recruitment (not the one closest to the alumna filling out the RIF form), for processing and to be signed. Please check with the ARIC and local alumnae chapter for their deadline accepting RIF forms, but generally this date falls between May 15-June 1. After the ARIC and alumnae chapter has collected, processed, and signed all RIF forms for women going through recruitment for that area, they organize the forms according to collegiate chapter and send them off together to their respective collegiate chapters. Generally the deadline for this falls between June 15-July 1. Once the forms arrive at the collegiate chapters, active Chi Omega members of that chapter will process the forms and file them.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND THE FORMS DIRECTLY TO NU BETA OR ANY OF THE COLLEGIATE CHAPTERS WITHOUT FIRST SENDING THEM TO THE ARIC AND ALUMNAE CHAPTERS TO BE PROCESSED AND SIGNED. In order for collegiate chapters to invite a woman to join Chi Omega with a bid at the end of recruitment week, a SIGNED AND PROCESSED RIF form must be on file at the collegiate chapter.
ONLINE VS. PAPER RIFS/RECOMMENDATIONS
The Nu Beta chapter of Chi Omega at The University of Alabama is happy to receive online RIFs or paper RIFs. Please mail your paper RIFs directly to our recruitment advisor, Lynn Anderson (40 The Highlands, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404). If you experience any difficulty or have any questions regarding online RIFs, please contact Elizabeth Wojcik at Chi Omega’s Executive National Headquarters at (901) 748 – 8600 or firstname.lastname@example.org . All RIFs are very important to our successful recruitment at Alabama. We are extremely appreciative of your time, interest, and patience.
IMPORTANT DIFFERENCES WITH INFORMATION ON THE ALABAMA PANHELLENIC WEBSITE REGARDING RECRUITMENT INFORMATION FORMS (RIFs), COMMONLY KNOWN AS RECOMMENDATIONS
Nu Beta recognizes several differences in the way RIFs are handled as compared with the general information available to women going through recruitment on the Alabama Panhellenic Association’s website. Here’s what you need to know:
- Once an alumna has completed a RIF form, she must send it to the ARIC and local alumnae chapter of the woman going through recruitment. The alumna should NOT send the form straight to Nu Beta. At the end of recruitment week, every new member must have at least one RIF on file that has been signed off by the ARIC. This is a non-negotiable national policy of Chi Omega.
- Once an alumna has completed a RIF form, the form goes through a very long process before it reaches Nu Beta. Please respect this process and the length of time it takes. All forms must make it to Nu Beta by July 15. In order for this to happen, alumnae need to turn in their RIF forms to the ARICs by June 1st. Please respect these dated guidelines as well as our policy that we do not accept late RIF forms out of fairness to other women going through recruitment whose alumnae had their forms in on-time and also because of the enormous of amount of women going through recruitment each year and the amount of time it takes our active members to process all of the paperwork.
- Nationally, Chi Omega does not recognize a “2 RIF form limit.” It is to the advantage of the woman going through recruitment to have multiple RIFs filled out on her behalf. There is no limit to the amount that may be submitted, as long as they are all submitted on-time.
- Nationally, Chi Omega does not recognize a “no letters of support rule.” Chi Omega welcomes all forms of alumnae support, whether that is a short note written on a napkin, a lengthy email, or a printed formal letter on Chi Omega letterhead regarding a woman going through recruitment. Just like with RIFs, it is to the advantage of the woman going through recruitment to have multiple forms of alumnae support on her behalf. There is no limit to the amount that may be submitted, as long as they are all submitted on-time.
The Chi Omega Nu Beta chapter recruitment chairs for The University of Alabama Fall 2013 Sorority Recruitment are Mary Riley Ogilvie, a rising senior studying math and education from Birmingham, and Jennifer Locke, a rising senior from Huntsville studying engineering. Please contact them with anything concerning Chi Omega Nu Beta recruitment at email@example.com.
For questions and information regarding Fall 2013 Recruitment at The University of Alabama, please visit the Alabama Panhellenic Association website (http://uapanhellenic.com/) or the UA Greek Affairs website (http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/).